Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Riding Bikes

Band practice. A time when all idiocy that is humanly possible seemingly strikes four individuals at once. I'm not really sure why I get excited for it; I'm positive if I weren't there nothing would ever get accomplished.

Our band refers to the inability to concentrate on what we should be doing as "riding bikes". It's based on the following joke.

"How many kids with A.D.H.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

"I don't know. How many?"

"Let's go ride bikes."

This basically epitomizes approximately65% of band practice. The conversation usually goes like this.

"Ok, guys. Now let's run through this song and we need to focus on this part. Tylor. Tylor shut up. Stop it. You're riding bikes. You're riding bi-......Would you freaking stop? Thank you. Ok, ready? One, two.......Lyle! Dude, come on. Stop it. Let's focus, here. LYLE! Thank you. Now, on three."


By this time, Bruce has gone to the kitchen to retrieve some kind of edible and my precarious hold on the guitarists' attention has already started slipping. By the time Bruce comes back and sits at his drum kit, the two are once again off in their own world, which is full of cool riffs and undeveloped material. Great for the band's future in a way, but very frustrating to anyone trying to harness all this ability and pointing it in a direction in which it can be useful.

Rock on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Trevor fails to mention is his own susceptibility to bike riding. The truth is, we all ride bikes, but we all keep each other focused as much as possible as well.

Trev said...

I've never successfully ridden a bike in my life! Though I admit, I do get distracted from time to time. Good point though, chub. I failed to mention the fact that we still get a lot accomplished.