Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Ah, insomnia my muse.

I love music. It's really strange to think about, as most things are when you think way too much about them. But consider this: music is really just a rhythmic arrangement of vibrations caused by disturbing an object's rest. And yet, it's so very powerful. Music can alter your mood, make a normal situation seem scary or comical and it can even help a long, boring time pas with seeming swiftness. Amazing.

Also, as I was thinking these deep and worthless thoughts, I got to wondering just who sat down and decided which sounds were "notes". To tune my guitar, I sometimes employ an electric device which tells me whether or not my strings are on pitch. It's really quite picky about it too. But how the deuce does the thing know what a "C" is supposed to sound like? What is that determined by?

MY THEORY:

It is that group of people referred to as "They". Ex: "They say the sun is a good source of vitamin D". What do these people do all day? They wear very nice suits and sit around deciding things and saying stuff that the general populace accepts without question. I've often wondered what the qualifications for getting in on this would be, but as far as I can determine, you only need a Bachelor's in Psychology. I MUST get a job with these people.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I would point you to a song called "They" by Jem that I love and discusses this concept (at least that was immediately started playing in my head when I began the theory portion of the post) (and I would bet money it was/will be also playing in the head of Emilee when she read/reads this), but you, as the worst music snob I've ever known, will probably hate it so I won't.

"Who are they?
Where are they?
How do they know all this?
And I'm sorry, so sorry,
I'm sorry it's like this.
Do you see what I see?
Why do we live like this?
Is it because it's true,
That ignorance is bliss?"

Andrea said...

I know it's not a big deal, but I just need to point out that I intended to have a "what" between the "was" and "immediately" in the post above. I apologize for any tripping over what was already an overlong sentence that my mistake may have caused.

Anonymous said...

touche

Anonymous said...

Ah, Trev. It is I, Kenna, commenting on your comments, as usual. THEY are obviously moms. You can't join them. And it is way too nerdy to say, "My mom said this" or "My mom said that." So we say 'they' instead. They don't have degrees in psychology. They just make rules based on the idiocy of their children.
It makes sense, no?

Andrea said...

Kenna, you are a genius.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, you are too kind. But we're already pretty much best friends. So there is no need for flattery. Unless it is true, of course.