Saturday, December 22, 2007

Guitar Sword Room

Recently, there has been a large and rather one-sided debate between Andrea and her friends and myself: the fate of the room which I have come to lovingly refer to as the "Guitar-Sword Room". As I am extremely outspoken on this issue and feel my points and arguments aren't really listened to or fairly considered, I have chosen to blog about it. The only way you can really get your point seen as valid is to put it in written form.

So the deal is this - we are moving into a two-bedroom apartment. The first bedroom I have already conceded to let my fiance and almost wife do absolutely whatever she likes with. In fact, I have already come to terms with the fact that basically the entire apartment will be decorated and furnished the way she likes, with my things being a mere smattering of the overall decor. My one solace has been the fact that there is a second room where I will be able to escape the pink, frilly girl stuff that is sure to become a constant weight and companion.

My intentions with this room, my "Guitar Sword Room", are fairly self explanatory and of course harmless. I have a collection of approximately 8 swords, all of different styles and from varying historic eras, which I would like to hang from the walls. I also have two electric guitars, two amps and an acoustic guitar and the ongoing habit of writing music.

Now to write music really takes a certain environment, and the way your furniture is arranged and what kinds of items are in the room are definite factors in the process. Also, when I am upset or stressed out or sad or whatever, I really like to take an hour or two and just give my frustrations over to the muses. This is all I ask and I don't really feel like it's a lot.

Let me preface my presentation of the resistance by saying that the girl I love with all my heart is NOT totally opposed to this. The conflict, however, lies in the fact that she would also like to put her sewing machine in this, my sacred and hallowed Guitar Sword Room.

She claims it will be easier for her to use if it is out. Why can't we have it in our bedroom? I have, as of yet, not heard a valid response to this question. "I've let you have the rest of the house, isn't that good enough?" Usually some tooth-grindingly sweet reply follows that one. If I let her have this one little thing, will it stop there? Undoubtedly no. The curtains, doilies and deep-blue painted walls are sure to follow. The garage feel as I know it will fade to memory along with my pride.

The worst part about this entire thing is I have already lost the will to carry on with my little underground resistance. What is it about a beautiful woman that inexplicably pacifies my inner freedom fighter and lulls the vicious hunter to sleep? That's love for you, friends. It makes so little sense, yet we need it to realize our full potential.

In the words of King Theoden "What can man do against such reckless hate?" Except it's not really hate... well you know what I mean.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Two things, future friend-in-law. Firdt, Andrea, doilies? I don't see the two together but, you do probably know her better.

Also, I'm having the hardest time buying you two a wedding present. I keep finding stuff that makes me exclaim "Andrea would love this (I think)", but then I think to myself, "Trevor would probably hate it or just barely tolerate it." And then I have this huge internal arguement with myself, "well, but Andrea is my friend, not Trevor, but I want Trevor to be my friend too, because having Andrea's husband not like me would be tragic..." and around and around and around. It never ends, I swear.

Trev said...

Well the doilies was supposed to be an obvious exaggeration for those of us who know her, so you're right. As for the wedding gift, I'm not quite so "I hate girly home stuff" as I let on. It's more a writing persona than anything, in all honesty. Don't sweat it too much.

Andrea said...

Rachael, if it is something I will love, I will make Trevor love it as well. That's the power I get as a wife. Right, Trev?

Rachael said...

Got it. You guys are awesome.